Sunday, January 18, 2009

I Love New England

I have a passion for New England.

After living for 15 years in California, I have returned to New England, my Old Country, Native Land, Old Stomping Ground. I came back for a wide variety of reasons, a good job, family, the ability to actually purchase real estate, the inheritance of a summer home in New Hampshire. And because I love it here. I was away for 15 years and lost my accent years ago but never stopped missing New England.

I grew up here, just west of Boston, in the 1960's and 70's. In the mid 70's, I left for college in Western New York and didn't return to live here until 1987. After earning my Master's at Simmons College in Boston, I relocated to California. I believe these two extended periods of time away provide me with a rich perspective on my love for New England. Natives here may or may not recognize the unique aspects of this place. If they do recognize these special things, they may or may not appreciate them. For me these differences from other areas of the country strike me acutely now. I want to write about them, point them out, celebrate them. I hope that readers of this blog will develop an enhanced appreciation for this incredibly special place, or at least learn something new, maybe a beautiful spot, an fun activity or an interesting fact.

No comments:

Post a Comment